Saturday 13 February 2010

Safety


Lisa Cresswell spoke about the research she had undertaken as part of her work on the Design Against Terrorism Project. It was important to find out what the general public felt about the London Underground in regards to saftey. Some individuals commented that CCTV cameras, even though they are important, can actually highten levels of fear. It was suggested that they be hidden or made less noticeable. Increased staff presence was another suggestion that was made. Just having someone there can reassure many members of the public. Not only this, but if a problem did arise people would be able to contact a staff member straight away. These two examples may seem fairly simple but with out asking the public for their thoughts these suggestions may not have been considered.


As part of the follow up to Friday's lecture we were asked to look at the public spaces around us and consider whether they make us feel safe or unsafe? I think I do feel a lot safer in places I am familiar with than in places I don't know. For instance, on a dark night at home I wouldn't mind walking up the High Street alone but I think I would feel differently about this elsewhere.

Going back to the comment made about making CCTV cameras less noticeable, I think it can have an impact. If I was walking in an area I didn't know and there were cameras on show I may start to worry about it being a bad area. Perhaps if they were hidden I wouldn't even consider being unsafe.

I think it can be hard to get the balance right. Obvisously in airports there has to be hightened security to ensure our safety. And even though I don't disagree with this, it can often make you more scared for your safety. Do you feel the same? Would a police presence in your neighbourhood make you feel safer? Or would it make you think that there is a need for extra security?

No comments:

Post a Comment