Monday 1 February 2010

Assignment 1B and 1C


For our Christmas assignment we had to collect photographs of ourselves growing up, or take pictures of our homes. I decided to collect a bit of both and put them on a disc to swap with my partner. I managed to swap with someone I have never spoken to before, therefore I knew nothing about her. Samantha provided me with a range of photographs that showed her though out her childhood as well as recent snap shots. I tried my best to identify Samantha's tastes, influences, possessions and environment.

My initial thoughts after viewing the photographs were:


- active lifestyle

- fitness

-sociable/ but not loud

-team player

-supportive

-close relationship with friends/ family

-likes to try new things

-competitive

-spent a lot of time with family/ trips

-seen places

-nice house/ middle class

-wore similar clothes to sister

-animal lover

-knows lots of people

-member of different groups/ clubs

-dependable

-developed own style/ accessories: scarf, belts, earrings, glasses

-holiday with girls

-enjoys nights out/having a drink/ dance

-relaxed

-not a show off

- self assured

-natural

-artistic

-rural


I then started looking at the photographs to gain more detail, here are my findings:


I think Samantha really likes outdoor and sporty activities. From the photographs I think she may be part of different groups or clubs, and may be part of a University team. I am not totally sure what kind of music she likes, but I think that she probably listens to music that is in the charts. One of the photos shows Samantha with a group of friends in a club, which suggests that she enjoys going out and dancing to current music. The fact that there was a piano in the home growing up could suggest she is quite musical or perhaps learned how to play an instrument when she was younger. This could also result in a broader taste in music. As for favourite authors, I have no idea, but I do think she will enjoy reading a good novel. I think she will also have favourite designers (relating to her subject) which she may own books on and look at for inspiration.


Influences

I think friends and family are a big influence. As a youngster Samantha was dressed in the same or similar clothes as her sister, and was often seen sporting Disney tops which must have been a passion at the time. Looking at recent photos she has developed her own style. Rather than wearing bold tops, or short skirts she shows her style through accessorising. This can be with a scarf, earrings, necklaces or belts. Small statement pieces rather than one bold overall look. Samantha’s friends tend to have similar tastes in clothes, and there is a tendency to wear smart/casual outfits rather than bum hugging dresses! Perhaps most of the clothes are bought from high street shops, rather than alternative clothing stores.

I think family is very important. Photographs suggest that Samantha spent a lot of time with her sister, whilst also enjoying regular outdoor activities with her parents. I think that the family will still be close and that they have a good relationship with one and other.


Possessions

Photographs of the family home suggest a middle class upbringing. The living room looks large and has several items of furniture which would have been expensive; piano and wall cabinet. The interior reflects the style popular at the time, and I suspect that the house has been updated to reflect the current styles and fashions. The choice of wallpaper/ sofa/ cushions were bright and bold. This would have been the parents’ choice but the unique style suggests her mum may have been quite arty. And her choices and styles may have been an influence.

There is evidence of toys in both the house and the garden, suggesting that as a youngster there was lots of fun and games. The large garden also has lots of plants and a picnic table as well as the toys. I think that a lot of time is spent outside, with the family. The outdoor photograph also suggests that the house is fairly rural, and that the love of the outdoors was developed from a young age. One photograph shows Samantha with a wheelbarrow. There is no guidance, therefore I think she knew what she was doing, and enjoyed helping out in the garden.


Environment

There was no pictures of Samantha’s bedroom so I am able to comment on how she has customised her room.


Other thoughts

Since Samantha looks like she is a member of clubs, or a large group of friends, I think she is friendly. I presume that she can make friends easily and is willing to form bonds/ find out about new people. Her interests vary from outdoor activities to going out clubbing therefore she may have lots of friends. I think that she will be approachable, and easy to talk to, making her a great friend to confide in.

Having a younger sister will probably mean that Samantha has had to share her possessions when she was younger. Therefore she may be considerate and cooperative. I also think she will be a team player, and may not show it but is secretly competitive.

Looking at the photographs I think that Samantha may not dye her hair and wears stylish glasses. Therefore I think she is very comfortable in her own skin, and doesn’t feel she has to conform to a particular look. Some people prefer not to wear glasses, and opt for contact lenses instead, showing that Samantha is confident in her appearance.

Considering that Samantha is at university I think she is passionate about her particular subject. She must have drive, ambition and future goals. It was also Samantha that came up to the Graphic department to look for someone to swap photographs with, which shows that she is assertive.

No comments:

Post a Comment