Wednesday 17 February 2010

3D Typography


Work is now underway for the 3D Typography Exhibition which will take place on the 26th of Feb. I can see a lot of late nights and lunch times taken up with constructing and painting, as this date is scarily close!

We were all given a fruit earlier this semester, and we had to investigate it in detail. In my case, I received the humble raspberry and I decided to look into its history, uses as well as the health benefits that it possesses. From there we had to design a broadsheet containing information on our given fruit or veg. After choosing my image and 'attention grabbing' heading I got to work on my broadsheet. But after feedback from my tutors I had to make a few changes (on several occasions!) which lead me to not liking the project that much.


However part 2 has arrived, and after some initial panic over the time scale we have been given, I am starting to really enjoy the project. We have been asked to create an installation which communicated characteristics of our plants through the use of 3D typography.


Having come straight from college I have never had the opportunity to make an installation and I think its a really interesting approach to graphic design. Many people assume that this area of design deals only with computers and flat images, but the course is definitely breaking that myth.

For my exhibition piece, I have sourced plant pots and canes in order to construct a 'raspberry plant'. Onto the cane I intend to added 3D lettering which spells out some of the health benefits associated with this delightful fruit! So over the last two days I have purchased goods from the early learning centre, hassled shop assistants to give me the buckets that flowers are kept in, kindly given canes from the workshop and took part in some outdoor spray painting!

I am really looking forward to seeing what the rest of the class is going to produce. The opening night will hopefully be a nice reward for all the stress and hard work put in during the course of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment