Monday 22 February 2010

Disneyfication of Culture


Fridays lecture was entitled the Disneyfication of Culture and was given by Hans van Koten. He spoke to us about this 'disneyfication', a term used to describe a global phenomenon which effects the whole of culture; from entertainment, retail and even education.

On leaving the lecture the main thing that stuck in my head was a short video clip which we watched. During this video we were presented with clips from various Disney films while someone spoke about what the footage could be portrayed as. One example given was Beauty and the Beast and how it promotes domestic violence. I have to admit in the clips that were shown I could understand someones reasoning behind the statement made. However I do feel that these children's films have been over analysed. Yes some of the clips depict anger, but it doesn't mean to say that a child watching said film will grow up to be the same.

The female characters in the Disney films were also discussed. It was highlighted that all these leading ladies are thin, with large breasts! and that this stereotype of the ideal woman could have a negative effect on young girls. I do think that in today's society there is a lot of pressure to look a certain way but I really don't think young children pick up on this from Disney films, I certainly never.

A further point was made that even though some of these leading female characters are very independent, they are always saved by the leading male. Is this sexist? I don't think so, I really just think its a story line that has been repeated through out history and will continue to be done so. After discussing these points with my flatmates, one of them made the point that if someone wants to make Disney seem racist or sexist they will find something to suggest this.

Apart from the discussion on Disney clips the other part of the lecture which I found interesting was about the Disney Parks. Disney has over 100,000 employees however they get paid a pretty poor wage. The workers in the theme parks are referred to as 'cast members' which I find a little bit strange. It is if they are part of an act, a show that we are all taking part in. One statement that stayed in my mind was about how they have streets with lots of houses that the theme park visitors go inside. However once inside they are nothing more than cleverly decorated shops, which we then go on to buy merchandise from! So are we part of the bigger act? Or are we not even aware of that the 'show' is going on?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I feel the films have been over analysed. Having watched some of these films, such as beauty and the beast, numerous times when I was younger and also in my adolescent years, I think I would still have failed to discover some of the connotations, had it not been pointed out to me.

    The very fact that beauty and the beast portrays anger is just a glance at reality! Many disney films are very 'happy, happy, happy' which doesn't show a true reflection to reality. Perhaps by seeing different emotions, other than happiness in films, it would benefit children as the mature.

    p.s his name is hamid :P xxx

    ReplyDelete