Wednesday 3 March 2010

Student Spotlight



I regularly have a look on the dieline website as I love to see all the unique packaging that is being designed. When I went on today I had a look at the Student Spotlight section, and found what I think is a really interesting piece of packaging:

"Wondaree Macadamias is a family owned and run macadamia farm in North Queensland.

This project was done to recreate their product’s image in order to demonstrate their organic and personalised ethos whilst embodying an idiosyncratic aesthetic that was accessible to the blind.

This was achieved by using design features such as brail embossed wooden pegs – a stalwart of Queensland culture – and bold block coloured packaging, strident and recognizable."


What I really liked about this design is that it doesn't try to hide the brail instead it makes it one of the key features of the overall look. I have never really seen packaging with brail on it before, apart from prescription boxes, so it made me wonder if there is specially designed food packaging for the blind. From looking on the internet I don't think there are many companies which take this into consideration. Therefore I think this packaging could be a step in the right direction. What are your opinions? Do you think this could have a positive impact?

1 comment:

  1. I think it works really well visually, making the brail quite an obvious feature of the packaging. It looks nice as well as being very helpful for someone with impaired sight. It nice to see that it has been considered, cause like you say many companies don't and if they do it is very subtle. It goes to show that having a very beneficial feature for the blind can also has a nice visual quality :)

    ReplyDelete