Saturday 20 March 2010

Assignement 4C


Assignment 4C required a lot of discussion. A group of us decided to meet in the studio to discuss both the interview process and the results we obtained. 3 other people had decided to investigate the same topic as myself, which I found quite helpful as we were able to compare each others findings. We also discussed our own experiences in regards to this topic.

What I found interesting about 3 of my subjects was how their choice of magazine related to the latest item they had purchased:
  • NME: Interest in music/ reads about when albums are released/ last purchase was a CD
  • Reveal: Interest in real life stories/ health/ beauty/ bought a dress
  • Nuts: Interest in Gadgets and cars/ laptop was latest purchase
All the girls said they use social networking sites, had other people buy them clothes and often relied on advice from friends or family whilst shopping. At the discussion we mentioned that a magazine has teamed up with River Island. When in store or online their is often a label attached to certain items which are the magazines favourites or must have items. I wonder whether more of these items are purchased? I think that girls sometimes need a second opinion/ reassurance whether it be through a friends advice or an image they see in a magazine. I think these little tags probably influence quite a few decisions.

During the discussion I mentioned that when I was younger I bought a certain magazine religiously. The first day it came out I had to have it. When you are younger I think magazines can have a greater impact, I would want to buy the products seen in the magazine, or do my hair the way they showed. I think today, magazines will probably have an even bigger impact on younger girls, who are becoming more interested in fashion and beauty than ever before.

We also mentioned how some men buy health magazines, and can become obsessed with health/ fitness and the ideal body. Women are also heavily influenced by the media in regards to eating habits and weight issues. There is now more emphasis on how we should look than ever before.

Health awareness was mentioned by the girls. However articles they had read may have made them more aware but not changed their lifestyle. However during the talk it was suggested that if the person is health aware then these articles would have a greater impact.

The other girls investigating this topic found that some people buy magazines because they feel they have to or for work. A few students told them they buy Vogue for course work rather than it being their own preference. In this case these magazines probably influence the students work!

Overall I think that magazines influence all individuals in regards to taste or opinion. However I think in order to do this the person reading the mag must have an interest in that subject in order to be influenced. Someone interested in fashion will take note of must have items or the latest look. Whilst someone interested in music may be influenced to buy/ not to buy a particular CD. Other people rely on friends for fashion/ beauty advice, but I do wonder where they gain their knowledge/ inspiration from?




No comments:

Post a Comment