Thursday 4 March 2010

Assignment 3A and 3B


For Activity 3A I had to choose one of the activities listed in the Module Handbook and observe how people behave whilst carrying out this activity. The list had many locations including a shopping centre, public library and coffee shop, but I decided to opt for the Bingo! I have never been to a Bingo Hall before so this was a new experience for me, but what a good experience it turned out to be!

On entering the Bingo Hall I didn't feel nervous as it was clear that you had to make your way to the main desk, where I presumed you would have to sign up in order to become a member. Even though the staff working behind the desk were friendly I felt that I got dismissed as they continued swiping in members before dealing with my registration. It was obvious during the short time spent filling out my form that the vast majority of the members go to the bingo regularly and are on first name terms with the staff.


So membership card and dabber pen in hand I proceeded to the next desk where I was more than a little confused on which game to purchase. After the girl behind the desk suggested that we started off with the 80p early game we all bought our books. We then went through the doors to the Bingo Hall.

On entering the hall we were a little uncertain where to sit. I was curious if sitting in a different section meant that you would be playing a different game. However after a quick scan around the hall we found a table (picking it on size rather then location).
As soon as I sat down I was wondering whether the game had already started? How would I know when to play? Do they give us warning or do they play one game after another? And how to get the lid of the dabber pen!

Then the lights went up and we were greeted with a friendly 'Hello' to which the majority of the hall replied. I felt it got people in the mood and made me feel welcome. The caller briefly mention which game was going to take place and that we would be playing for a line, then 2 lines, then a full house. If we got any of these we were to clearly shout 'house!'

At first I felt both nervous and excited, and had to focus my intention on listening to what numbers were being called. Even though I never missed any numbers, it was very hard to keep up as the caller shouts them at a fair speed. Once I started getting numbers I became a little nervous that I might actually win, and that I would have to shout out 'House' in front of all the other people who were there.

After we had completed the early game we went back to the desk to purchase another book for the later games. Again there was some confusion over what we were wanting to purchase but the staff helped us with that. These books contained more games, and as they progressed the prizes got bigger. We were made aware of this by the bingo caller as well as a large screen which was placed above the stage.

Everyone playing had a desire to win, and we all let out loud sighs when someone else got there first. 2 of the group members even shouted 'House' thinking they had won a small fortune but soon discovered that they had misunderstood the rules (either didn't know you needed 2 lines in the same game or that once someone has won a line you can't). I think it is quite easy to be confused during bingo, especially since the rules weren't explained prior to starting.

So after playing about 10 games I hadn't won a thing, but my luck changed with just 3 games to go. I got a line in one game, and 2 lines in the next. My previous fear that I wouldn't manage to shout 'House' was unnecessary as I screamed it loudly. The rest of the group screamed and clapped, and very kindly some of the regulars did too! As the lady came across to check my ticket the caller commented that 'we have a very excitable winner.' After witnessing other people winning I did notice that my reaction was a little different, the regulars seem to take it in their stride, and stay relatively calm when they win. Maybe I will be like that one day!


So overall my experience of the Bingo was a good one, after some initial nervousness I became a little more relaxed and enjoyed my night. I think we may all be making a return visit soon!

Activity 3B Today we all got together to discuss our observations and experiences. Here are our findings:
  • Most of the people taking part were dressed in casual clothes including jeans, sports tops and knitted jumpers. I decided to wear jeans and a plain top, and I didn't feel at all out of place. I think had people been dressed up they may have felt too over dressed for the occasion.
  • The staff all wore a uniform which made them easy to identify.
  • There was nearly an even number of men and women participating, with their being slightly more women. This surprised me as I associated Bingo as a game for older ladies. There was also a range of age groups; ranging from students to the retired. I think this shows that the steroetype of who plays Bingo is far from the truth.
  • We also felt that the majority of people were middle/ working class. There was no snobbery associated with the game. It had a very relaxed atmosphere where we all fitted in comfortably.
  • People seemed to come in pairs whether it be friends, mother and daughter or husband and wife. These couples would sit together at the same table, whilst people who came on their own sat at their own table. We were the largest group of people sitting together.
  • People also sat fairly spaced out from one and other. Choosing to leave a table free in between them and the next table of people playing. We were uncertain whether this was because it was a mid week game, and therefore not as busy. Or whether people want their own space.
  • From this finding we also concluded that even though Bingo could be classed as a 'social' game we didn't witness any interaction between the different groups of people. Therefore even though players are in a social environment I don't know how easy it would be to make friends through going there. Perhaps if members go regularly they may say hello to each other but there is little time for conversation.
  • I didn't think the rules were well explained and therefore the game may be confusing to first time players. The large screen advertised that new players could ask for the rules to be explained by staff. I think this shows that most people know how to play the game, and that could be why the rules aren't mentioned.
  • The decor was bright and cheery. The group felt it reminded them of being on a Haven holiday.
  • Uncertainty amongst the group of what game was taking place, where to sit, when the game would start, where you go to collect winnings and why some people held money up in the air.
  • Easy to sign up, and find table. Therefore the service and layout is effective.
  • People were already seated when we entered the hall.
  • The other players were understanding when false calls were made, and even joined in our celebration. Did they perhaps know we were new to the game?
  • Staff worked well as a team. They all seemed to know their individual role.
  • The position of the slot machine is clever. They are located in between the reception and the Bingo Hall. Therefore people must walk through on entering and leaving the Hall, maximising the chance people will spend more money.
  • Several breaks during the game, so people can have a toilet break, get food or drink, chat and celebrate their win!

No comments:

Post a Comment