Tuesday 26 January 2010

Who Influenced You?


The handbook provides follow up work to complete after each week's lecture, and one of the tasks is to 'consider how you ended up studying design.' As well as thinking about who inspired or influenced you? For me my inspiration came from one of my best friends Megan.

I had quit Uni (after realising that I can't really tolerate small children, which turns out to be a rather important quality if you intend on doing primary teaching!) and was unsure what to do with my life. One night I was at Megan's and she showed me her portfolio, which included recent work she had completed for her Graphic Design course.

I had previously been to degree shows but it never gave me the inspiration I needed. Maybe I was daunted by how good everything was. So for me, my influence didn't come from books or galleries but from someone my own age. Someone who discussed the design process with me. Someone that I could relate to and ask questions without worrying if I sounded stupid. I found her work interesting and the process of working to briefs appealed to me, so off I went to study!


What I do find interesting though is why does Graphic Design appeal to me more than Illustration? Why is it that I like art and my sister loves guts and gore (i.e. nursing)? And if Megan had been studying another art based discipline would I have went off to study that as well? Why did you choose Graphic Design?

1 comment:

  1. Can't tolerate small children? Sounds like you were perfectly qualified to be the PE teacher!

    ReplyDelete