Friday 29 January 2010

Earthquake Appeal


I read yesterday that a girl was rescued from a building in Port-au-Prince 15 days after the earthquake hit the city. Its amazing to think that someone could last that long in such terrible conditions, but it does give a ray of hope.

Since the government there struggled to deal with such a terrible natural disaster, other countries have stepped in to help with the rescue effort. However what has struck me, back at home, is the effort people have went to, to raise money for the earthquake appeal.


I had a knock at the door the other day, to find two male students selling cakes to raise money for the appeal. Their efforts may only raise a small amount of money, but it all counts. I have also been asked to a girlie gathering next Wednesday, arranged by Lindsay, to again raise some extra money. She has went out and bought some product, is going to bake some cakes, and charge us a small entry fee in return for these goodies.

Last week I also received a text from my mobile phone network, Orange. The text provided me with a number I could text to donate £2.50 to the Haiti disaster. I text the number, and within seconds got a reply message saying thank you for my contribution. Again £2.50 doesn't seem much but if all the Orange users in the country replied to that message it would have resulted in a large sum of money being raised.

This blog was just to highlight the efforts some people and organisations are going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment