Sunday 8 November 2009

Bringing Communities Together


The other night I went up to Baxter Park to watch the fireworks. There was a massive turn out and everyone there appeared to enjoy the music, bonfire and fireworks display. Even though it was only on for a couple of hours it really brought people together. This got me thinking about a topic that got raised at my seminar earlier in the week - the importance of street football. (This may seem like an unrelated topic but its going somewhere!)


The Street Football Project aims to 'establish a network of street football clubs who would play each other in friendly leagues and tournaments, breaking down barriers and bringing different groups and communities together.' There was a similar project set up in my town last summer and even though I didn't participate (1. because I am too old and 2. Even if I wasn't I can't play football to save my life!) I think its a really good idea. Not only does it get people together it gives teens something to do. Growing up in Leven is not the most exciting place to be, so having a project such as this gives younger people something to look forward to, keeps them fit but also keeps them from wandering around the streets getting up to no good.


Some people may argue that this scheme is a waste of money and that the cost to fund such events could be better spent. However it could actually save so much money. Youths may be less likely to particpate in crime and vandalism because they having something more exciting to do. It will hopefully have a positive impact and lead to new attitudes amongst this age group. So are these people right, is it a waste of money?


Getting back to bonfire night, I know this only takes place once a year, but could councils arrange similar events more often? I am not suggessting fireworks and bonfires in the middle of summer, but seasonal events. Perhaps small music concerts, bringing local bands together? Outdoor activities on those rare warm days in summer? I know this would all cost money but I think it could be effective. I know that I would certainly go along to such a project if it was on in my home town, as I am sure others would.

No comments:

Post a Comment