Monday 4 October 2010

Typography


Our second project of the semester is entitled Environmental type. It requires us to go out into the city and take lots of photographs. We were asked to experiment with our photography and I have done so by trying to take a combination of angle shots and close ups (Just hope we don't get graded too much on the photographs!) After going on the hunt for typography on a few occasions it is still surprising how much of it is about! Whether it is packaging, door numbers, tourist information, road signs or posters on billboards, the list of places where you can find type is endless.

I have also began to look into editorial and magazine design to get an idea of how typographers use the space on the page. I was introduced to a magazine called baseline and was really impressed with the work it contained. Every detail has been considered from the headers right through to the footnotes on every page. Therefore I have started to pay closer attention to detail, in particular column sizes, headers, sub headings and type sizes.

I am looking forward to starting work on page layouts, working with the grid in In Design in order to gain valuable typographic skills which I will be able to carry through into all the briefs I undertake.

The top image is one of the photographs I took.

No comments:

Post a Comment