Monday 18 October 2010

Design Studies - Assignment 3


For Assignment 3 I had to meet with my study group, during reading week, to help each other define an area for our dissertation topics. Each member of the group spoke about what area/s they were interested in researching further. Following this, a mind map was created for each person, drawing on the different knowledge of each team member.


I have personally found it quite difficult to define an area for future research, but have managed to narrow it down to two different topics. I am interested to learn more about the role of the graphic designer and what knowledge they require to work in today's industry.


When asked what area of Graphic Design I would like to go into, my response was a company such as Graven Images, where designers from several disciplines work together on collaborative projects. Therefore this could be an area which I could investigate further; looking at different disciplines, the expectations of clients and the changing needs of the consumers.

However another area that branched of from this central topic was the design theory that graphic designers need to know. For example I am particularly interested to learn about how image and type work together, how colour theory and language barriers effect design (with reference to different countries) and which types of media are most effective in conveying particular messages.


The other area which I was interested in was the topic I looked into during Year 2. During this time I looked at how design can influence/ encourage the public to seek health promoting behaviour. Exploring how different forms of design can change attitudes towards health could be interesting. Even though I think this could be carried through to my personal project in Year 4, my fear is that there might not be enough information on this subject.

After returning from today's dissertation workshop I think I am going to investigate the relationship between health and design further. I was very interested about the topic of alzheimer's disease which was mentioned during the power point presentation and wonder whether this is a route that I could explore further.

No comments:

Post a Comment