Tuesday 12 October 2010

Knitting Epidemic


I was reading online that it was national knitting week, a week that will hopefully encourage a new generation of knitters to pick up there needles n make something crafty. Not only was there a piece on the Guardian online which gave you the knitting pattern to make your very own snood, there was an interesting article on the graffiti knitting epidemic.

It reports that there are 'a bunch of 'graffiti knitters' are on the loose in the UK – hellbent on liberating us from the forces of drabness'
The reporter explains the photograph above by mentioning that 'It's a blustery Sunday afternoon on London Bridge and I'm exercising my right – or at least, the right of freemen in 11th-century London – to herd sheep across the Thames. They're not real sheep, thankfully. They're tiny knitted creatures, with spindly legs and multicoloured bodies, and snapping at their heels is a gnarly-looking wolf in sheep's clothing.Confused? Welcome to the world of graffiti knitting, or yarn bombing as it's generally known. If you haven't encountered it before, you might just over the next few days, as knitters across Britain celebrate wool week by "tagging" lamp-posts with knitted doilies, wrapping public statues in scarves and sending knitted animals scurrying about city streets.'

I thought this was a really fun and quirky approach to get the public aware of Nation Knitting Week. Not only does it raise awareness, it makes knitting look fun, I am sure that it will catch the eye of both the young and old. To me, it takes away the misconception that knitting is for grannies, and puts forward the notion that it is young and modern. It suggest to me, that knitting no longer means sitting for hours creating a rather ugly looking woolly jumper, instead you can make little quirky designs, or fashionable pieces such as scarfs, hats n gloves! It genuinely has made me want to buy some wool n make my own scarf for the cold winter months ahead! However since I haven't knitted anything successfully before I should maybe make a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment