Monday 12 October 2009

Cinema Tickets


Why is it that we keep a hold of our used cinema tickets?

After all there is no real use for them. They can't get you back into the cinema for free, and even if they did you would have to sit through the same film again. Which in the case of some films would be a pretty terrible experience.

I tend to keep my cinema tickets, bringing them home to spend the rest of their lives in a small box alongside other random artifacts collected over the years. It made me wonder why these small tattered pieces of paper are so sentimental to people?

I am sure some individuals have kept their stubs from every film they have ever seen. But I wonder whether, like myself, they are stored away or are they looked at from time to time? Are they seen as souvenirs? A physical reminder of an outing?

There will also be many cinema goers who throw their tickets away, seeing them as useless pieces of paper. Rubbish. However for me these small bits of paper are rather special. Looking through my small collection I can easily assign a memory to each and every one. And I think thats probably what most people love about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment