Wednesday 30 September 2009

Helvetica - Love it or hate it?


After watching the film Helvetica I instantly started looking around at shops, signs and magazines to see how often this typeface is used. The extensive use of this font was highlighted during the documentary, and it was fascinating to see the variety of products that it has been applied to. Its fair to say Helvetica is everywhere!

What I found interesting about the film though, was how it showed both sides of the argument. Some typographers argued that this is one of the best typefaces, which can be and often should be used in all areas of design. Others had the opinion that fonts can be expressive in their own right, and we should not be limited to two or three typefaces.

Throughout the film I had varying opinions, one minute I loved it and the next I thought it was over used. However by the end of the film I loved Helvetica. I think its a really well designed typeface which is clear and very easy to read. Its versatility makes it ideal for a range of products; everything from shop signs to t-shirts.

I am sure i will be using it in my designs in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment